Monday, August 12, 2013

Adulting

I know I said I would do a big book recap at the very end of the summer, but there is one book that I just couldn't help but share with you guys now. This might only appeal to the 20-somethings who are about to graduate college, but even if you are far out of college, there are some really great tips to be found in this book.

I was in Urban Outfitters one time while I was home, and though their clothes aren't usually my style, I love looking at their collection of books. They are fun and cute, and one in particular caught my eye: Adulting: How to Become a Grown-Up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps, by Kelly Williams Brown. The title caught my eye, because, if all goes as planned, I will be graduating college this spring and taking my first adult steps out into the real world. If that isn't a scary thought, I don't know what is. When I picked it up just to skim through it, I landed on the page that talked about the finer points of doing laundry. If you're going to wear white, commit to it. Don't be afraid of bleach. And many other important tips. I figured that if the whole book was scattered with tips like this, it was definitely worth a purchase.

(Source)
I snapped a picture of it on my iPhone and promptly forgot about it until just a week or two ago when I was scrolling through my iPhone pictures, deciding which ones could be deleted. I saw the picture of this book and since I was in the market for a new book - something light - I decided to click "buy" on my Kindle. I cannot recommend this book enough! It gives you practical advice for growing up - financial advice, cleaning supplies everyone should own, an easy chicken noodle soup recipe, and what should be hung up versus what should be folded. Brown also emphasizes learning how to apologize, the importance of writing thank you notes, how to conquer job interviews, and what to do in the event of a car malfunction (which we all know happens to me more than it should). What it all comes down to is "be[ing] good, be[ing] decent, be[ing] responsible, and be[ing] kind." Just be a thoughtful person, know when to drop the banana and do what you need to do. And don't forget to write thank-you notes. 

Tip: Create a mantra of things you must have upon leaving your house (Source)
In addition to practical advice, the book is peppered with fun diagrams and has a very humorous tone, making it a very light and easy read, but you can bet that I copied down some of my favorite tips, such as keeping a pair of kneepads on hand because they will prevent your knees from getting sore when scrubbing the floor, and this analogy: "debt is the Voldemort to financial responsibility's Harry Potter," or in other words, not good.

If you are in college, just graduated from college, or just need a little help in the adult department, pick up this book. I promise you won't regret it, and I guarantee you will learn something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS