Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Scottish Rite Dormitory

Excuse me if I get a little bit emotional while writing this post, but SRD has been my home-away-from-home for the past two years and it has been so, so good to me. What is a difficult transition between high school and college was made so much easier due to a simple choice to live at Scottish Rite Dormitory. It's funny, I had never actually seen the dorm until my early-June orientation - two months before I was supposed to move in. My mom had toured the dorm with a friend during my freshman year of high school, and she knew from that very moment that if I was going to attend the University of Texas, then SRD was where I would be.



It turned out to be the best decision she could have ever made. From the very first time I walked through the big, beautiful doors, down to my final days of being an official SRD resident, I felt right at home. The staff is wonderful, the food is incredible, the facility is beautiful, and the girls who live here are some of the very best at this university. I met some of my very best friends and froomies through this dorm, and they are friendships that will last a lifetime.
A peek at some of the delicious food
Last day at SRD!


I survived two years of college at this dorm - from learning how to live in close quarters with another person, studying endlessly for those impossible exams, exchanging ghost stories about Sophie, eating too much frozen yogurt, dealing with the wonderful (Cr)Apogee Internet, going to great lengths to get princess parking, surviving Christmas hall decorating, falling asleep on the fifth floor study hall, laughing, crying, and just pulling some pretty crazy shenanigans. I am so thankful to have been able to call this place home. Thank you, SRD, for two of the best years of my life. My college experience wouldn't have been the same if I hadn't overnighted my contract so that I could live in this beautiful palace with all of my best friends. I will miss you, but you will forever hold a special place in my heart.
Room 320 
Freshman Year
Christmas Dinner 
SRD Shenanigans

Roomies for life!
I can't wait to come back however many years from now to show my daughter where I lived, and one day to hopefully move her into a room of her own. Whether you know it as the "dirty srdy," the "virgin vault," or just plain old SRD, it will always be a place to call home.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much more expensive is one of these private dormitories than on-campus dorm? I really want to live in SRD and rush, but it seems like the cost would be much much greater.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS